Question: My mother pays a lot of money every month for my dad to stay at a home care facility with staff. My mother cannot take care of him, which is why she found this place. Now, the facility has said they want him to leave. What rights do we have? What can be done?

Answer: This is a difficult situation that depends in large part on how the facility is classified. Depending on the classification and your state’s laws, the facility may have to go through an eviction proceeding just as if your father were living in an apartment. This can take time and give you and your mother time to find an alternate living arrangement for your father. It may also be classified as a health care facility with its own procedures. A local elder law or legal services attorney should be able to advise you. To find an elder law attorney near you, go here: There also may be a senior or residents rights organization in your community or an ombudsperson service that could help.

Write a comment:

You must be logged in to post a comment.

© 2019 MATTHEW L. MERCER | Attorney at Law

15 Franklin Street
Westerly, RI 02891
Tel: 401.315.2702
Fax: 401-315-2703


Disclaimer: The Rhode Island Supreme Court licenses all lawyers in the general practice of law, but does not license or certify any lawyer as an expert or specialist in any field of practice. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer / client relationship.