Question: I have a patient who receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI) but can’t manage her own money.  Can we set up a special needs trust to receive her benefits and use them for her benefit over the course of the month?

Answer: It may be more prudent to have a Representative Payee appointed for her. The Social Security Administration (SSA) will do this so that someone can help manage her SSI check. For more on Representative Payees, click here.

Write a comment:

You must be logged in to post a comment.

© 2019 MATTHEW L. MERCER | Attorney at Law

15 Franklin Street
Westerly, RI 02891
Tel: 401.315.2702
Fax: 401-315-2703


Disclaimer: The Rhode Island Supreme Court licenses all lawyers in the general practice of law, but does not license or certify any lawyer as an expert or specialist in any field of practice. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer / client relationship.